Monday, January 26, 2015

Trick(y things in my life right now) or treat(s for not drinking)

Trick(y things in my life right now)

About five minutes ago (approximately 4:30 pm East Coast time), I found myself hiding in the corner of my kitchen eating chocolate cake so that my daughter would not see me.  I cut myself a decent size slice and then had to go back and even up the edges... of course the cake has to be even!  It has nothing to do with me wanting a bit more!

I just got an email from match.com, offering to "Let a pro write your profile.  Our top-notch writers can make your personality shine.  Make your profile more appealing."  So apparently Match.com recognizes that I am in a dating slump - this could be a new low for me.  I then tried to persuade my daughter to take pictures of me playfully about to bite a tortilla chip, or with my hand on my hip (which was shifted to the side ever so slightly) as I grinned over my shoulder, so that I could add some pizazz to my profile pictures.  Apparently my daughter, who did not know my ulterior motive for said photos, did not think they were apropos, as she asks me if I was trying to scar her for life.

Yesterday, my dumb ass ex husband told me that he let his 12 year old step daughter take our 8 year old daughter and her 8 year old step brother to the movies...without consulting me first.  This really pissed me off, as I don't think it was a wise choice (I guess I am conservative and perhaps over protective as a parent) and I felt like he should have at least talked to me first.

This weekend, a friend of mine from high school is having her 40th birthday weekend with a bunch of girls from high school and college.  I will not be going for two reasons - first reason - I need to work on getting ready for comps exam and preparing for dissertation, and two - I am not drinking.  I feel as if I am in a strange no where land...kind of wanting to go, but kind of glad I'm not.  I know that I am doing the right thing for me, but I can't help but to feel as if I am missing out.

But, the good news about all of these tricky things in my life is that I am still not drinking and I am still breathing.






Treat(s for not drinking)

So Belle, who is running the 100 day sober challenge, in which I am participating, sent me my first homework assignment. This assignment was the kind of work that I can get into.  I was to compile a list of treats that I can use to reward myself every two days for not drinking.  Here is the list that I have come up with thus far:


  • new herbal or green tea K-cups ( I have decided to become a tea drinker in the evening)
  • Either sugar cubes or some kind of cute honey to sweeten said tea
  • Coffee mugs (in which aforementioned tea will be consumed)
  • scented lotion
  • scented Body wash
  • celebrity gossip magazine (People or Us weekly)
  • Cute new cup (preferably with a lid and ideally with a built in infuser) out of which I can drink non-alcoholic beverages
  • Tervis Tumbler
  • chocolate bar from Whole Foods (they have chocolate raspberry and chocolate orange - yummo!)
  • new ebook on sober life on iPad
Do any of you use sober treats to reward yourself?  If so, to what have you treated yourself?

4 comments:

  1. Dear Wine,
    I gave myself flowers and yoga clothes.
    But the clothes were pricy, so I didn't get many!
    I'm very impressed with all you are doing!
    I only made it to elementary teacher! Lol
    I loved doing Belle's 100 days. It really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Flowers are a great idea, and I have yoga clothes on my to do list for today's treat!

      Random question - do you feel like yoga has helped you on your sobriety journey? I feel like I am being "called" towards it so to speak. I have done it on and off for the past few years and love the way it makes me feel, mentally and physically.

      One of my goals is to focus on the positive things I can add into my life (like yoga) as opposed to focusing on the not so positive things I am attempting to take out of my life (like drinking).

      Delete
  2. Chocolate covere almonds. That is all 😊. Glad things are going well for you; I think you are making the right decision re the party. You aren't really missing out on anything. You're getting your life back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate covered almonds...yum! Thanks for your kind words in regards to the party. The more supportive feedback I get, the better I feel!

      Delete