Friday, January 23, 2015

AA? Do I have to say the "A Word"?

So, this post is going to be full of questions for which I would love, love, love to get input!

I have struggled with the idea of AA and going to meetings.  I kind of want to go, but these are the things that are holding me back from attending.


  • Do I have to identify as an "alcoholic" to go to AA?  Like, I have absolutely no intention of ever getting in front of a room and saying, "hi my name is----- and I'm an alcoholic."
  • Do I have to have already committed myself to the idea of not drinking forever to go to AA?  (or is this one of those things that you work out along the way?)
  • Would I be accepted in AA?  (for example, I have been before, but didn't feel like my story was as "bad" as those of the others that I heard  - I've never been a daily drinker, still have a good job, never gotten arrested (Thank you God!) - but I guess the reason I want to go is that I worry one day my luck could run out.

I would love any and all input/thoughts/ comments on AA.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog!
    I go to some AA meetings because I like the real life support, however, I have to leave a lot behind. I hate saying I'm an alcoholic. I don't know why. I think it's the stigma of having a drinking problem. Some people say, "I am in recovery."
    We have some great meetings, with some really cool people. Many of them were "high bottom" drinkers like me.
    It's a bit tricky. If I listen, I find I have more in common with people than not. I could have had a DUI, or other nasty things if I had continued on my way.
    I think you just have to commit to being sober at the meeting.
    Do you have a bunch of meetings to try?
    I went to a bunch of different ones to find one that felt supporting.
    Peace and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog as well! I am always so excited to know that someone might actually (gasp) read what I am writing!

      I do have a good many different meetings to choose from. I have visited two different groups at different points in time, and there are a couple of other meetings I would like to try. I guess the fact that I have even gone to AA multiple times is a sign that I should continue doing so...it's like one woman in a meeting said - "We don't end up here on accident".

      Delete