Sunday, January 25, 2015

100 Day Challenge

I am taking control of my life and relinquishing control that I never had.

Pinspiration #1:



I just got registered for Belle's 100 day challenge.  Below is a copy of my pledge:

I will not drink for 100 days.  No matter what.  I can cry, but I will not drink.  I can go to bed or go home early.  I might feel distressed... but I will not drink.  Bad things might happen, but I will not drink.  Incredibly shitty things may happen to someone around me, or my neighbor, or my friend's friend's grandmother.  But there will be no booze.  Funerals? Weddings?  Amputation?  I'm not drinking for 100 days no matter what happens... no matter what.

My last drink was Friday January 9, 2015, so this is my day 16.

Here's to changing my life for the better:

Pinspiration #2


The funny thing is, since recommitting myself to sobriety (it feels weird to say that word), I have felt this strange new emotion...pride.  Interesting that my great job, master's degree and doctoral level classes haven't given me the same feeling of pride that 16 little days of sobriety have.

It's nice to talk to someone, (namely a non-drinker) without wondering if they are on to your dirty little secret.  Can they Tell that I was shitfaced this weekend?  Do they know I drive drunk sometimes? Do they know that I smoke cigarettes when I'm drunk?  Do they know I engage strangers in witty and charming conversation while intoxicated? (read that one sarcastically) Do they know that I had sex with a 28 year old redneck?  Do they know? Do they know? Do they know?  

It is nice not to feel like I am hiding anything.  It is nice not to feel like I am living 2 different lives.  Think elementary school educator by day, aging party girl by night. It is nice not to feel shame.  It is nice not to feel guilt.  It is nice.

I'm beginning to like this thing called sobriety.  It is nice.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I can relate to all of that. Especially the "do they know" part. I feel like I've been living a double life for eight years now. Thank you fOr sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I can relate to all of that. Especially the "do they know" part. I feel like I've been living a double life for eight years now. Thank you fOr sharing.

    ReplyDelete