Wednesday, April 1, 2015

gentleness and peace

I don't know if this has anything to do with my newfound sobriety or not, but today I noticed the way I talk to myself.  I was doing this super intense exercise class that was WAAAAYYY too hard for me (I didn't realize what class I was going to, thinking it was going to be a nice Zumba class) and I was struggling with almost all of the exercises. At the end of the class I was so frustrated and I felt like crying.  Thoughts of "You are no good, you are so stupid, you are so dumb, you are a fat ass" ran through my head.  Why would I talk to myself like that?  I would never talk to anyone like that no matter how much I might dislike them...so, why then, do I think it's okay to talk to myself like that?

Today's meditation from The Language of Letting Go was very timely for me.  "Go easy.  You may have to push forward, but you don't have to push so hard.  Go in gentleness, go in peace."  I've been having a really difficult time of things lately on all fronts - work (my principal is INSANE and seems to have it in for me), sobriety and loneliness- and when asked what I really want in life by those trying to advise or help me, my answer has been "peace".  I am realizing that I probably have to be at peace with myself before I can have peace in my life, and I'm thinking the first step of that is probably not being so mean to myself.

I've also (Still) been questioning my path and alcohol issues (I know any regular readers are probably like "come on already!").  My most recent thoughts are "Maybe you are just crazy, it's not a drinking problem" or "maybe it's just the stress in your life <insert said insane principal, single mom and PhD student>, not a drinking problem" or "maybe it's just that you're lonely, it's not a drinking problem".  But - Somewhere from deep within, my soul answers, maybe it's all those things that have brought you right where you need to be...finding my way, learning to love myself and be the best version of me that I can be.




5 comments:

  1. Dear WCM,
    Yes!
    Learning to love and take care of yourself, is so important.
    Being gentle is a wonderful way to approach it.
    I used to think I needed to drink to be able to cope with teaching.
    Now I know, it didn't work.
    You are doing so well!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....maybe it's all those things that have brought me right where I need to be...finding my way, learning to love myself and be the best version of me that I can be..... SO TRUE!!!
    Life is but a journey....we question, we experience, we learn...then we teach....
    We are exactly where we are supposed to be...
    You do need to love yourself....say those nice things to yourself...slow down....
    I love "The Language of Letting Go"
    I've learned to stop trying to convince myself that I don't have a drinking problem...aka I'm not an alcoholic. I became sick and tired one too many times to listen to that voice of mine. Only when I began to listen to my inner Being was I able to be free from all the BS that my mind was trying to tell me......You almost have to step out of yourself to see that your mind doesn't shut up! I've also learned these most important words
    "You are not your mind"
    We are so much more than that aren't we?
    Stay here....It really does get better..... The pink cloud isn't too far out of reach....
    Hugs
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you? Thinking about you lots....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sober mommy, I am good, thank you for asking! It's good to know people care! Day 25 today :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I'm watching over you my friend....
      xoxo
      Have a super day filled with love.
      Jen

      Delete