Saturday, April 25, 2015

Saturday morning thoughts

I'm sitting at my laptop working on my final paper due in my research class, so what else should I do but make a quick blog post? (I am ever the procrastinator)

This morning I have been thinking about how the stress in my life seems so much less than it did before, which is ironic.  The amount of stress in my life hasn't changed...I'm still a single mom, I'm still in grad school, I still struggle financially, but somehow I am less stressed about it all since I have removed alcohol from my life.  I am more balanced and seem to be better able to cope with whatever curve balls life throws me.  I have more time to focus on what's important, namely my daughter and those things, that despite being sometimes tedious and completely non-exciting, are still necessary (things like my coursework, cleaning house, paying bills, etc.)

It's funny to me that the alcohol I was turning to in order to cope with my stress was actually making my life more difficult.

10 comments:

  1. Good morning!
    Yes. If alcohol ever helped with stress, it was long ago for me. In the past few years it had become a source of stress.

    My husband and I often marvel at how much easier our life is now. How much more peaceful. Joyful. All because we stopped drinking.

    I'm continuously amazed at how badly booze was impacting things. It was so invisible.

    Congrats on 40 days. Keep at it!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne! I definitely think I am much more balanced now :)

      Delete
  2. wow.....I could have wrote these same words. I, too, feel that I've been so stressed but not really stressed. It's almost like I'm stressed in a calmer fashion. No booze helps for sure. It's amazing how we have to quit drinking to realize that the stuff we once loved only brought us stress.
    Hugs
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.....I could have wrote these same words. I, too, feel that I've been so stressed but not really stressed. It's almost like I'm stressed in a calmer fashion. No booze helps for sure. It's amazing how we have to quit drinking to realize that the stuff we once loved only brought us stress.
    Hugs
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Jen! I think alcohol was definitely adding to my problems instead of helping me cope - in fact it probably was one of my biggest problems!

      Delete
  4. Dear WCM,
    Way to go on 40 days!
    I am very impressed with you getting your PhD!
    I created so much stress by drinking, and I didn't cope with life as well when I was drinking!
    xo
    wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy! Hope you are doing well! :)

      Delete
  5. How are you doing WCM? I totally agree. I feel inner peace as well as being calmer generally with life (work - I too am a teacher - kids, family). Day 62 for me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LushNoMore!

      Thanks for stopping by! Still no drinking for me - and I'm on day 48.

      Do you have a blog? It's always good to have a fellow teacher to commiserate with!

      Delete
  6. No I don't have a blog. Well done for staying strong. Keep up the good work x

    ReplyDelete